Phillips’ not only believes that life is too short to be spent struggling with these problems, but that going should feel good. In a consumer study, nearly 40% of adults claimed to have suffered constipation at some point in their lives.
Although a common problem, many don’t treat their symptoms because they feel shame around the topic or associate laxatives with bathroom horror stories.
The brand’s humorous new campaign, “You Deserve A Good Poop,” flips the fear of treating constipation on its head by romanticizing the feeling of having to go and reframing it as a form of self-care. You deserve to have good digestive health, and you definitely deserve a good poop.
“You Deserve A Good Poop” promotes an experience that is gentle, and maybe even a little satisfying. Using relaxing imagery and a soothing, straight-talking voiceover, the campaign surprises viewers with an aspirational take on a subject typically surrounded by stigma. The campaign repositions Phillips’, a challenger brand, as the go-to for relaxing, well-deserved poops.
The new campaign is the first by creative agency Energy BBDO since winning the brand work at the start of 2020. The execution includes a :15 and several other :06 second spots that will run on social and digital platforms. Watch below:
“’You Deserve a Good Poop’ brings a new sense of honesty to the category,” said Teresa Gonzalez-Ruiz, Vice President Marketing – Nutritionals and Digestive Health. “In particular, we are excited about how it subverts the taboo topics of poop and constipation, bringing viewers into situations that feel relatable and aspirational, to rid the shame associated with treating the issue.”
“The campaign is an unexpected reminder of just how good a poop can be,” added Josh Gross and Pedro Pérez, Co-Chief Creative Officers of Energy BBDO. “Go ahead, have a good poop, you deserve it.”
Phillips will look to continue to redefine what a laxative experience should be in 2021.
AGENCY: Energy BBDO
- Co-Chief Creative Officers: Josh Gross and Pedro Pérez
- Executive Creative Director: Susan Treacy
- Associate Creative Directors: Colin O’Toole and Hansel Quintela
- Copywriter: Matt Kane
- Junior Art Director: Daniel Pujol
- 3D Motion Designer: Jaehyuk Choi
- Head of Integrated Production: John Pratt
- Executive Producer: Jeff Davis
- Producer: Chris Totzke
- Business Manager: Gina Stevanovich
- Talent Manager: Mariellen Golfis
- Managing Director: Lianne Sinclair
- Worldwide Client Service Director: Katie Clow
- Client Service Director: Kevin Bogusz
- Account Supervisor: Serena Lignel
- Assistant Account Executive: Jackson Dunn
- Group Strategy Director: Jason Parker
- Strategy Director: Elizabeth Brown
- Strategist: Loie Greenwood
PRODUCTION COMPANY: CoMPANY Films (Los Angeles)
- Head of Production: Christien Tuttle
- Executive Producer: Richard Goldstein
- Director: Axel Laubscher
- DP: Jakob Ihre
- Line Producer: Henrik Lagercrantz
EDIT: Optimus One (Chicago)
- Executive Producer: Jon Desir
- Senior Post Producer: Joanna Woods
- VFX/Finish Lead: Ryan Wood
Colorist: Paul Yacono