“Hung” gets third season $1 million incentives approval

Thomas Jane of HBO’s “Hung”

WHILE A SECOND SEASON of ABC’s “Detroit 1-8-7” won’t be decided until May, “Hung” – the HBO series set in Metro Detroit – will be around for another season, thanks to a $1 million incentive from the Michigan Film Office.

“Hung” is the third film approved under the Michigan Film Office’s new policy, requiring review by the Michigan Economic Development Corporate committee, and the fifth approved so far in 2011.

As for “Detroit 1-8-7,” it’s unclear is whether Michigan will approve tax credits to give it a second season.

“As far as we know, our incentive application has been put on hold like many others, pending new legislation,” says the show’s executive producer, Jason Richman. “But it has not been rejected,” reports the Detroit News.

Right now, 43 film projects want to film in Michigan, but under the proposed $25 million cap, the film office only has $17.9 million left to give out.  This why the MFO is approving low-to-medium budget projects, and projects like Doug Liman’s $58 million sequel to “Mr. and Mrs. Smith” was rejected. 

All 43 of the projects would cost nearly $130-million.

FILM INDUSTRY LOBBYING EFFORTS are heating up in an effort to convince the Michigan legislature not to downsize into obscurity what has been an economic-boosting industry for the past three years. 

Michigan Film First hired the law firm Clark Hill to lobby a compromise effort to lawmakers.  Akin to the Illinois Production Alliance, MFF was formed last November.  It’s chaired by Kinetic Post founder/president Kirk Miller. 

“We are committed to working with Gov. Rick Snyder and legislators to craft a compromise that grows Michigan’s promising film industry while being fiscally prudent,” said Chris Baum of the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau and Film Detroit.

Since the incentives took effect in April 2008, the Film Office and the Dept. of Treasury have approved a total of 210 projects, amounting to $369,267,472 in film incentives on $941,245,646 in total qualified expenditures by productions in Michigan.  

GEORGE CLOONEY, who adapted the play, produced, directed and stars in the political drama, “The Ides of March,” wrapped shooting in Michigan last week.  The theatrical release date is set for Oct. 14.

The story is about a young press spokesman idealistic staffer (Ryan Gosling) for a newbie presidential candidate (Clooney) who gets a crash course on dirty politics during his stint on the campaign trail.

COMMENTS