Not as many non-broadcaster-produced shows received 2012 Midwest Chapter Emmy nominations this season as they had in past years. Still, approximately 14 companies, especially multiple nominees Bitter Jester and HMH Media, had award-worthy spots, docs and craft skills to qualify for an Emmy nod.
Here are the non-broadcast nominees in nine out of 22 categories of endeavor, with some winning more than one nod for the project. The producer/host/reporter receives the award.
Category #11-b- Outstanding Achievement for Special Event Coverage – Edited
- 2011 Chicago Restaurant Pastry Competition: Nicolas DeGrazia, Daniel Kullman, Producers; Jimmy MacMillan, Julie MacMillan, Executive Producers. JMPUREPASTRY and Bitter Jester Creative.
Category #12- Outstanding Achievement for Arts/Entertainment Programming – Program/ Special/Series/Feature/Segment.
- Dance For Life: Scott Silberstein, Producer. HMS Media
Category #14- Outstanding Achievement for Human Interest Programming – Program/ Special/Series/Feature/Segment.
- Never an Excuse to Quit: Louis Pierce, Producer; Steve Lotter, Co-Producer. Big Idea Company
Category #15- Outstanding Achievement for Community/Public Service (PSAs) – Single Spot/Campaign.
- One Boy’s Story: Colin Carter, Stefan Draht, Mike Greiner, Brooks Ruyle, Brett Schnacky, Kate Soczka, Producers. Mode Project. Also: Graphics Arts/Animation/Art Direction/Set Design, Stefan Draht, Brett Schnacky
- See Yourself In A Different Light: Jeff McCarter, Executive Producer; Christiana Santos, Supervising Producer; Tim McBride, Ramon Campos, Lamar Allen, Jovan Brown, Ronald Reese, Johnny Thrower, Miguel Campos, Rhondel Payton, Producers. Free Spirit Media
- See Me: Jim Rivett, Executive Producer; Shelly Young, Jason Davis, Producers. Arketype Inc
- Invest An Acre: Louis Pierce, Producer. Big Idea Company
Category #17- Outstanding Achievement for Commercials – Single Spot.
- Ravinia Festival: Street Spot: Nicolas DeGrazia, Daniel Kullman, Nick Pullia, Russell Jenkins,Producers. Bitter Jester Creative and Ravinia Festival
- Ravinia Festival: Home Spot: Nicolas DeGrazia, Daniel Kullman, Nick Pullia, Russell Jenkins, Producers. Bitter Jester Creative and Ravinia Festival.
Category #22-b- Outstanding Crafts Achievement Off-Air: Director – Post-Production.
- Matthew Hoffman – Dance For Life. HMS Media
- Steve Weiss – bts: Chasing The Light. Zacuto Films. Also, Editor: program, non news
Category #27-a- Outstanding Crafts Achievement Off-Air: Writer – Program (non-news).
- Phillip Ranstrom – Cheat You Fair: The Story of Maxwell Street. Big Shoulders Digital Video Productions
- Jim Disch – Fr. Augustus Tolton. Archdiocese of Chicago Radio-TV Office.
Click here for the complete list of nominees.
The 54th annual 2012 Chicago/Midwest Emmy Awards Ceremony takes place Nov. 18 at Alhambra Palace, 1240 W. Randolph, hosted by Sun-Times columnist Richard Roeper. The soiree starts with 4:30 p.m. cocktails, 5:30 p.m. dinner and 7 p.m. Awards Ceremony.